Electronic collars are defined in the regulations as an animal collar that is designed to be capable of imparting an electric shock to an animal. This does not include citronealla type collars.
New South Wales
The use of all electronic dog collars in NSW is illegal other than the exception listed below.
Electronic collars associated with canine invisible boundaries are not illegal provided the canine invisible boundary is used to confine dogs, but only used inside a fence through which dogs cannot pass and that is not less than 1.5 metres high.
You must not put a remote training collar or anti-bark collar on a dog unless you are:
- A veterinary practitioner or a qualified dog trainer; or
- Acting under the supervision and written instructions of a veterinary practitioner or a qualified dog trainer.
You must not use an authorised electronic collar unless:
- A veterinary practitioner has examined the physical health and temperament of the dog or cat and reasonably believes that the dog or cat is suitable to have an authorised electronic collar used on it; and
- The dog or cat is over 6 months of age; and
- A collar is not left on the dog or cat for more than 12 hours in any 24 hour period; and
- The use is in accordance with any instructions for use of the collar provided by the manufacturer; and
- The dog or cat is introduced to the use of the collar in accordance with a training program that complies with the Code of Practice for Training Dogs and Cats to Wear Electronic Collars, made under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986; and
- The collar complies with the following specifications1: a) the power of the collar must not exceed either 15 milliamps root mean square or 100 milliamps single pulse with a maximum duration of 3 milliamps per second; and b) the length of the stimulation period must be limited by an automatic safety cut-out; and c) the collar must provide for variable levels of static stimulation; and
- The collar contacts have safe, rounded points1; and
- The distance between the collar contact points does not exceed 60 millimetres1.